After School Hummus
This snack staple is the perfect blend of mashed beans, spices, oil, and yogurt.
|Serving size:||2 tablespoons|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
Blender or food processor
Serve with fresh vegetables, pita chips, or crackers
Recipe sourced from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
1 15 ounce can no salt added garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt OR 2 tablespoons water
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and tops of cans.
- Use a colander to drain garbanzo beans. Discard liquid.
- In the bowl of a blender or food processor, combine garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, oil, and pepper. Blend on low speed until the beans are mashed and consistency is smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup yogurt OR 2 tablespoons water with a spoon.
- For best results, refrigerate for several hours or overnight so the flavors can blend.
- You can substitute garlic powder (1/4 teaspoon) for garlic clove.
- For a shorter blending time, mash beans with a fork, chop garlic finely, and then stir ingredients thoroughly before adding to the blender.
- Store the hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 2-3 days.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped red pepper for a different flavor.