Chewy Fruit & Nut Bars
It’s true! These fruit and nut bars are easy to make and can be personalized to your specific tastes.
|Serving size:||1 piece|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||Doesn't apply, but 4 hours of chill time|
|Total time:||4 hours, 20 minutes|
Square 9x9 pan
Wax or parchment paper
Medium size bowl
Small, microwave-safe bowl
Recipe modified from Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters
1/2 cup chopped nuts, any type
3/4 cup dried fruit, any type, chopped into small pieces if necessary
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup crispy rice cereal
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
1/2 cup nut butter, any type
1/4 cup honey OR maple syrup
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (regular or imitation)
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, and utensils.
2. Line a square 9x9 pan with wax or parchment paper.
3. Put the nuts, dried fruit, oats, rice cereal, and coconut (if using) in a medium-sized bowl and toss well.
4. Put the nut butter, honey, and oil in the small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds until the nut butter is softened. Stir until smooth. Add the vanilla and stir again.
5. Pour the nut butter mixture into the oat/cereal mixture and mix until well combined.
6. Put the mixture into the prepared pan and pat down as hard as you can.
7. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to one week.
8. Cut into 16 pieces.