Lunch, dinner or after school, these mini pies are easy to make and easier to enjoy.
|Serving size:||1 English muffin or pita half|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
2 cups tomato sauce
1 zucchini, shredded
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped
4 whole wheat English muffins OR 4 whole wheat pitas, split in half to make 8
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange English muffins or pita halves on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes or until crisp.
3. While English muffin or pita halves are toasting, combine tomato sauce, shredded zucchini, and Italian seasoning in a medium sauce pan. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat and stir in chopped spinach.
4. When English muffins or pita halves are toasted, add 3 tablespoons tomato sauce to each and spread evenly with back of spoon.
5. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of tomato sauce and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Frozen spinach could also work in the sauce, but you will need to squeeze out water from defrosted spinach until it’s very dry or sauce will be watery.