Lunch, dinner or after school, these mini pies are easy to make and easier to enjoy.
|Serving size:||1 English muffin or pita half|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
2 cups tomato sauce
1 zucchini, shredded
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped
4 whole wheat English muffins OR 4 whole wheat pitas, split in half to make 8
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange English muffins or pita halves on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes or until crisp.
3. While English muffin or pita halves are toasting, combine tomato sauce, shredded zucchini, and Italian seasoning in a medium sauce pan. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat and stir in chopped spinach.
4. When English muffins or pita halves are toasted, add 3 tablespoons tomato sauce to each and spread evenly with back of spoon.
5. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of tomato sauce and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Frozen spinach could also work in the sauce, but you will need to squeeze out water from defrosted spinach until it’s very dry or sauce will be watery.