Mushroom and Barley Soup
A deli staple! This flavorful soup is as hearty and healthy. Served steaming hot, it’s also the antidote to the winter blues.
|Serving size:||1 1/2 cups|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||40 minutes|
Cutting board, large pot, measuring cups and spoons
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced thin
2 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
2 cups mushroom, sliced
1/2 cup quick cooking barley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme (optional)
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tablespoon fresh parsley (optional)
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, vegetables, and utensils.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Cook onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms until onions begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients except parsley and bring to a boil.
4. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
5. If using, sprinkle parsley on top of soup before serving.