Southwest Shredded Chicken
Easy to make and even easier to add to salads, sandwiches, or burritos.
|Temperature:||Low heat or high heat|
|Serving size:||1/2 cup chicken and 1/2 cup vegetables|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||4 hours on high, 8 hours on low|
|Total time:||4 hours and 15 minutes on high or 8 hours and 15 minutes on low|
Large slotted or mixing spoon
Measuring cups and spoons
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes with green chilies with liquid
1 15 ounce can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can no salt added corn, rinsed and drained OR 1 1/4 cups frozen corn
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 15 ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning OR 2 tablespoons Celebrate Your Plate Taco Seasoning
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, tops of cans, and produce.
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker. If using cilantro, save 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top of finished dish. Stir to combine and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, transfer chicken to a medium bowl. Shred chicken using 2 forks.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables from cooking liquid to bowl with chicken. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cilantro, if using.
- Serve over salad, on a whole grain roll, steamed brown rice or as a taco or burrito filling.
- For a saucier option, drizzle extra cooking liquid over top of this dish.