Southwest Shredded Chicken
Easy to make and even easier to add to salads, sandwiches, or burritos.
|Temperature:||Low (8 hours) or high (4 hours)|
|Serving size:||½ cup chicken and ½ cup vegetables|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||4 or 8 hours depending on crockpot setting|
|Total time:||4 hours and 15 minutes or 8 hours and 15 minutes depending on crockpot setting|
Colander or strainer
Slotted spoon or large mixing spoon
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, not drained
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can corn, drained OR 1 cup frozen corn
1 onion, diced to ¼-inch pieces
1 green pepper, diced to ¼-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1 15 ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning OR 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, produce, and tops of cans.
2. Place chicken in bottom of crockpot.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to crockpot (save a tablespoon of cilantro to sprinkle on top of finished dish, if using) and stir to combine. Cover with lid.
4. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
5. Thirty minutes before serving, transfer chicken to a medium bowl, and shred it using two forks.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables from cooking liquid to bowl with chicken and stir to combine.
7. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cilantro, if using.
Optional: Drizzle extra cooking liquid over all.
Serve over salad, on a whole grain roll, steamed brown rice or as a taco or burrito filling.