Southwest Shredded Chicken
Easy to make and even easier to add to salads, sandwiches, or burritos.
|Temperature:||Low (8 hours) or high (4 hours)|
|Serving size:||½ cup chicken and ½ cup vegetables|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||4 hours on high, 8 hours on low|
|Total time:||4 hours and 15 minutes on high or 8 hours and 15 minutes on low|
Colander or strainer
Slotted spoon or large mixing spoon
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1 15 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes with green chilies, not drained
1 15 ounce can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can no salt added corn, drained and rinsed OR 1 cup frozen corn
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1 15 ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning OR 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, produce, and tops of cans.
2. Place chicken in bottom of crockpot.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to crockpot (save a tablespoon of cilantro to sprinkle on top of finished dish, if using) and stir to combine. Cover with lid.
4. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
5. Thirty minutes before serving, transfer chicken to a medium bowl, and shred it using two forks.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables from cooking liquid to bowl with chicken and stir to combine.
7. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cilantro, if using.
Optional: Drizzle extra cooking liquid over all.
- Serve over salad, on a whole grain roll, steamed brown rice or as a taco or burrito filling.