It doesn’t have to be Taco Tuesday to enjoy this zesty salad.
|Serving size:||1 cup salad and 1 cup taco filling|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
Wooden spoon or spatula
Measuring cups and spoons
1 tablespoon olive oil OR vegetable oil
1 pound lean (85% or leaner) ground turkey
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning OR 2 tablespoons Celebrate Your Plate Taco Seasoning
1 15 ounce can no salt added (pinto or black) beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup salsa OR 3/4 Celebrate Your Plate Summer Salsa
4 cups salad greens, torn into small pieces
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, tops of cans, utensils, and produce.
- In a medium frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey, onion, and taco seasoning. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, break meat into small pieces. Cook thoroughly until meat is no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add beans and salsa to frying pan and gently mix to combine. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While meat is cooking, place salad greens, tomatoes, and green pepper in a mixing bowl. Gently toss.
- When ready to serve, spoon meat mixture over salad greens and top with shredded cheese.
- To keep your salad crisp, leave taco meat on the side until ready to serve.