It doesn’t have to be Taco Tuesday to enjoy this zesty salad.
|Serving size:||1 cup salad + 1 cup taco filling|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
Colander or strainer
Wood spons or spatula
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 pound ground turkey, extra lean
1 small onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning OR 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 15 ounce can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup salsa
4 cups salad greens, torn into small pieces
2 tomatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, produce, and tops of cans.
2. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey, onion and taco seasoning. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, break meat apart into small pieces. Cook thoroughly until meat is no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Add beans and salsa to skillet and gently mix to incorporate and cook 3 to 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. While meat is cooking, place salad greens, tomatoes and green pepper in a mixing bowl and toss gently.
5. When ready to serve, spoon meat mixture over salad greens and top with shredded cheese.
Leave taco meat on side until ready to serve.