Baked Garden Green Tomatoes
A lighter version of the Southern classic, breaded tomato slices are baked, not fried!
|Serving size:||3 pieces|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||24 minutes|
|Total time:||39 minutes|
Fork or whisk
Measuring cups and spoons
For the Baked Green Tomatoes
2 large green tomatoes
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup panko bread crumbs
For the Dip
1 tablespoon canned chipotle pepper in adobo
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice green tomatoes into even slices (about ¼ inch thick).
- Lightly beat egg whites in a medium mixing bowl. Place flour, paprika, cumin, and salt in a second bowl and mix to combine. Place panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Delicately press tomatoes into flour, coating both sides. Dredge in egg whites, and cover in panko breadcrumbs. Place slices on a baking sheet that has been covered in non-stick spray.
- Bake for 12 minutes, flip the tomatoes, and bake for another 12 minutes until tomatoes are golden.
- While the green tomatoes are baking, prepare the dip. Mince the chipotle pepper, combine with light mayo, low-fat yogurt, and ranch seasoning in a bowl. Stir to mix thoroughly. Serve as a dip for the green tomatoes.
- This recipe is great with other vegetables too! Try coating sliced peppers, eggplant, or broccoli.