Sunny Baked Eggs and Vegetables
This colorful, fluffy breakfast dish tastes great any time of day.
|Serving size:||1 1/3 cups|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||60 minutes|
Medium square or round baking dish
Large frying pan
Whisk or fork
Measuring cups and spoons
1 tablespoon olive oil OR vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups vegetables (bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, grated carrots, zucchini, peas, tomatoes, etc.), finely chopped
6 large eggs
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 slices whole wheat bread, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup cheese, shredded
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Using a whisk or fork, mix together eggs, milk, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. Arrange bread cubes in the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Evenly distribute cooked vegetables on top of the bread and cheese. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is set. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can make individual servings by baking in 2 1/4 inch muffin tins (large). Spray each muffin cup or line with bake cup. Add each layer: bread, cheese, cooked vegetables, egg mixture. Cooking time is 15-20 minutes. Eggs are set when still slightly moist in the center. Check with a toothpick. Yield: 12 egg cups.
- This recipe is a pantry buster! Use up any canned vegetables that you have on-hand for this dish, such as black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, or peas.