Sunny Baked Eggs and Vegetables
This colorful, fluffy breakfast dish tastes great any time of day.
|Serving size:||1 1/3 cups|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||60 minutes|
2 quart baking dish or pan (square or round)
Spoon to mix
Whisk or fork
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups mixed vegetables, finely chopped (bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, grated carrots, zucchini, peas, tomatoes, etc.)
6 large eggs
1/2 cup non-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 slices whole-grain bread, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Using a whisk or fork, whisk together eggs, milk, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. Arrange bread cubes in the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Evenly distribute cooked vegetables on top of the bread and cheese and pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is set. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can make individual servings by baking in 2 1/4 inch muffin tins (large). Spray each muffin cup or line with bake cup. Add each layer: bread, cheese, cooked vegetables, egg mixture. Cooking time is 15-20 minutes. Eggs are set when still slightly moist in the center. Check with a toothpick. Yield: 12 egg cups.
- If you use a square pan the corners will cook more quickly than the center.
- Refrigerate leftovers or freeze individual servings.
- Assemble, refrigerate overnight and then cook for a filling breakfast.
Try these vegetable combinations:
- Frozen: peas, broccoli, sweet peppers, chopped spinach. Add 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning.
- Fresh: Grated carrots, grated zucchini, chopped spinach, mushrooms. Add 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley.
- Canned: black beans, diced tomatoes, corn. Drain each. Add 1 teaspoon ground cumin. Save the tomato and corn liquid to use as stock for soup.