Black Bean Soup
Hearty, wholesome, and with just the right amount of spice. Top it off with nonfat yogurt or low-fat sour cream.
|Temperature:||Medium heat, Simmer|
|Serving size:||1-1/2 cups|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
Measuring cups and spoons
2 15 ounce cans of no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons olive oil OR vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lime OR lemon juice (optional)
1 tablespoon lime juice (about 1/2 lime) (optional)
Non-fat yogurt, low-fat sour cream, cilantro
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until onion begins to soften (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add chili powder. Add cumin, if using. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and water to saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon or lime juice, if using.
- Garnish with yogurt or sour cream and cilantro before serving, if using.
- Soup can be cooked in a slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours.
- Thin the soup by adding water. Thicken soup by cooking longer without cover.