Broccoli Potato Soup
Enjoy the velvety smooth, rich cheese flavor of this soup in a bowl or cup—rainy day optional.
|Serving size:||1 1/2 cups|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||40 minutes|
Measuring cups and spoons
4 cups reduced sodium (vegetable or chicken) broth
1 1/4 pounds white potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
2 cups broccoli florets, 1 cup chopped into bite-size pieces, 1 cup chopped very small
2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning OR Celebrate Your Plate Italian Seasoning
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- In a large sauce pan, bring broth to a boil over medium high heat.
- While broth is heating, chop vegetables. Add potatoes, celery, onion, carrot, and 1 cup bite-size broccoli florets to broth.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cool soup slightly; in small batches, transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer blended soup to a bowl. Repeat process until all soup is smooth.
- Transfer soup back to saucepan and stir in milk, Italian seasoning, 1 cup finely chopped broccoli, and cheese and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- When blending, use a towel to put pressure on the lid. Steam may cause the blender lid to pop off.
- For a chunkier soup, skip the blending step.