Broccoli Potato Soup
Enjoy the velvety smooth, rich cheese flavor of this soup in a bowl or cup—rainy day optional.
|Serving size:||1 1/2 cups|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||40 minutes|
Large sauce pan
Bowl to pour blended soup
4 cups low sodium broth (vegetable or chicken broth work OR 4 cups of water with 4 bouillon cubes)
1 ¼ pounds white potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
2 cups broccoli florets, 1 cup chopped into bite-size pieces, 1 cup chopped very small
2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
2. In a large sauce pan, bring broth to a boil over medium high heat.
3. While broth is heating, chop vegetables. Add potatoes, celery, onion, carrot, and 1 cup bite-size broccoli florets to broth.
4. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Cool soup slightly; in small batches, transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer blended soup to a bowl. Repeat process until all soup is smooth.
6. Transfer soup back to saucepan and stir in milk, Italian seasoning, 1 cup finely chopped broccoli, and cheese and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Use a towel to hold the blender down in case the steam causes the top to pop off.