Chocolate PB Banana Bites
This cool snack is naturally sweet, fun to eat, and easy to make.
|Serving size:||3 sandwich bits|
|Prep time:||1 hour 15 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour 15 minutes|
Wax paper or aluminum foil
Small microwave-safe bowl
Fork or spoon for stirring
Measuring cups and spoons
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vegetable oil OR canola oil
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, and utensils.
- Peel and slice bananas into 1/4 inch thick coins. Line a large plate or small baking sheet with wax paper or aluminum foil.
- Place about 1/4 teaspoon of peanut butter on half the banana slices. Top with another slice to form a banana peanut butter sandwich. Repeat until all banana slices have become sandwiches making about 30 bites (around 10 “sandwiches” per banana.)
- Place bites on prepared baking sheet, and put into freezer to harden, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- After banana bites are frozen, begin to melt the chocolate. Add chocolate chips and oil to a small microwave-safe bowl, mix gently so oil is distributed among chocolate evenly. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and microwave in additional 30 second bursts until chocolate is completely melted. Do not exceed 2 minutes of melting time, as chocolate may burn.
- After chocolate has melted, remove frozen banana bites from the freezer. Dip each frozen banana bite into the
- Place chocolate covered bites back on to the lined baking sheet. Once all sandwiches are dipped return to the freezer for 15 minutes or until chocolate is frozen. Serve immediately.
- These frozen treats should be eaten quickly before they start to melt. Or they can be stored in the freezer in an airtight container or zip-close bag for up to two weeks.
- This recipe is best with ripe bananas that are still mostly firm. Bananas that are overripe will be too mushy to make into neat slices.