Great Grain Salad
Full of texture and flavor, this salad makes a great main dish.
|Serving size:||2 cups|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
Whisk or fork
Tongs or spoon and fork to toss salad
Add baked or grilled chicken breast, beans, or tofu and parmesan cheese to complete this meal.
Recipe adapted from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
For the dressing
1 medium lemon
1 clove garlic
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup oil (canola or olive)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad
1 cup whole grain pasta, couscous, or barley cooked according the package directions and cooled
1 bunch greens: kale, chard, spinach, etc.
1 can pickled beets
1 medium apple
½ cup nuts: pecans, almonds, walnuts
Optional: 2 ounces of cheese (shredded Parmesan or crumbled feta)
For the dressing:
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
- Cut lemon in half. Squeeze both halves into small bowl. Remove and discard seeds.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Add apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and garlic to lemon juice. Use a fork or whisk to whisk ingredients together.
- While whisking, drizzle in oil.
- Add salt and pepper.
For the salad:
- If using kale or other hearty greens with a large center rib, remove leaves from rib, tear into bite-size pieces, and add to large bowl.
- Cut apple into ½-inch chunks and add to bowl.
- Drain beets in colander. Cut into ½-inch chunks and add to bowl with greens.
- Add cooked whole grain pasta, couscous, or barley to bowl.
- Add nuts to the bowl.
- Toss dressing with salad ingredients in the large bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese on top if using.
- Try chard, kale or other leafy greens instead of collard greens.
- Combine greens with a whole grain pasta or brown rice for a side or meal.