Potato Tot Casserole
Everyone will want seconds of this yummy casserole, filled to the brim with cheese and colorful veggies.
|Temperature:||400 F in Oven, Medium Heat on Stovetop|
|Serving size:||1/9 of Casserole Dish|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||50 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour, 10 minutes|
Baking Dish, Large Frying Pan, Measuring Cups and Spoons
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 yellow onion, diced
8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
3 cups, or 1 12 ounce package frozen vegetable mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup low-fat milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded low-fat cheese
1 pound (16 ounces) frozen potato tots
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, and utensils.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion, cook for 3 or 4 minutes until onions become translucent, then add the sliced mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the mushrooms have cooked down. Add the frozen mixed vegetables and cook for another 7-9 minutes until melted water from frozen vegetables has mostly evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour milk into the frying pan and add flour. Stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese. Arrange frozen potato tots in an even layer on top of cheese and vegetables.
- Place baking dish in the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes, or until the cheese starts to bubble and the potato tots are slightly browned.
- To make this recipe gluten free, try swapping the 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for 1 tablespoon cornstarch!