Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie
A simple cream sauce surrounds chicken and vegetables under a biscuit layer in this one dish meal. Each of the four servings has one full cup of vegetables – a winning meal with easy clean up.
|Temperature:||Medium high / 375 degrees|
|Serving size:||2 cups|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||25-35 minutes|
|Total time:||40-50 minutes|
2 quart baking dish (10 cups)
10 inch skillet
Measuring cups and spoons
For the filling
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup flour
2 cups non-fat milk OR low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
16 ounces frozen, mixed vegetables
1 cup cooked, chopped chicken
For the topping
1 cup biscuit or general baking mix
1/2 cup non-fat milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add pepper, oregano, and garlic powder and stir to coat the onion.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle the flour over the onion and stir to coat the onion. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly so the flour doesn’t burn.
- Slowly pour the milk or broth into the skillet, stirring constantly. Increase the heat to medium and continue to stir for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the vegetables and chicken and stir to combine. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
- For the topping, stir together the baking mix, milk and egg. Pour over the chicken mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Try different vegetables. Use four cups of whatever vegetables you have on hand: peas, carrots, broccoli, corn, celery, sweet pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms or leftover veggies.