Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie
A simple cream sauce surrounds chicken and vegetables under a biscuit layer in this one dish meal. Each of the four servings has one full cup of vegetables – a winning meal with easy clean up.
|Temperature:||Medium high / 375 degrees|
|Serving size:||2 cups|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||25-35 minutes|
|Total time:||40-50 minutes|
2 quart baking dish (10 cups)
10 inch skillet
Measuring cups and spoons
Add a glass of fat-free milk to complete this meal.
2 tablespoons oil, vegetable or canola
1 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon oregano, optional
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups fat-free milk or vegetable stock (or bouillon cubes to make 2 cups)
16 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (4 cups)
1 cup cooked chopped chicken (9-10 ounces)
1 cup baking mix
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Add oregano and garlic powder, if using.
- Sprinkle flour over the cooked onion.
- Slowly stir in the milk (or milk and stock combined) to make a sauce.
- Allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Add the vegetables to heat.
- Add the cooked, chopped chicken.
- Pour into the 2 quart baking dish.
- Topping: Stir together the baking mix, milk and egg. Pour over the top of the chicken vegetable mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Try different vegetables. Use four cups of whatever vegetables you have on hand: peas, carrots, broccoli, corn, celery, sweet pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms or leftover veggies.
- 1 cup of chopped chicken is equal to 16 ounces of uncooked chicken.
- Leftover chicken or vegetables can make this a quick meal.