Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie
A simple cream sauce surrounds chicken and vegetables under a biscuit layer in this one dish meal. Each of the four servings has one full cup of vegetables – a winning meal with easy clean up.
|Temperature:||375 degrees, Medium heat, Low heat|
|Serving size:||2 cups|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||25-35 minutes|
|Total time:||40-50 minutes|
2-quart baking dish
Large frying pan
Measuring cups and spoons
For the filling
1 tablespoon olive oil OR vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup flour
2 cups low-fat milk OR low-sodium (chicken or vegetable) broth
1 16 ounce package frozen vegetable mix
1 cup chicken, cooked and chopped
For the topping
1 cup all-purpose baking mix*
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
*1 cup flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until onions become see-through.
- Add black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to coat the onion.
- Reduce heat to low, sprinkle flour over the onion, and stir to coat the onion. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly so the flour doesn't burn.
- Slowly pour the milk or broth into the frying pan, stirring constantly. Increase the heat to medium and continue to stir for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the vegetables and chicken. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into a 2-quart baking dish.
- For the topping, stir together the baking mix, milk, and egg. Pour over the chicken mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- This recipe tastes great with many kinds of vegetables! Try using and fresh or frozen veggies that you have on-hand.