Whole Grain Cereal Treats
Use your favorite whole-grain cereal in this sweet and fruity version of the puffed-rice treats from our childhood.
|Serving size:||1, 2-inch square|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
9x13-inch baking dish
Large microwave-safe bowl
Fork or spoon for stirring
Measuring cups and spoons
Recipe Sourced from Iowa State University’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
3 tablespoons butter OR margarine
4 cups miniature marshmallows (about 1 10 ounce package)
6 cups whole grain cereal (oat circles, rice puffs, oat checkers, corn flakes, wheat flakes, etc.)
1 cup dried fruit (banana chips, reduced sugar dried cranberries, mixed dried berries, etc.)
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, and utensils.
- Prepare a 9x13-inch baking sheet by spraying with non-stick spray.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat butter or margarine and marshmallows on high in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir the mixture and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Stir again until smooth. Add cereal and dried fruit and stir until well coated.
- Press mixture into prepared baking dish with a spatula. Leave on sheet and allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes. Cut into 2-inch squares when cool.
- Use whatever pan you have on hand! This recipe fits into any size baking dish.
- This recipe is great with whatever whole-grain cereal, dried fruit, or other toppings such as sliced nuts you have on hand.
- Try adding some protein by topping them off with a thin layer of peanut butter or other nut butter.