Baked Chicken Schnitzel
Thin and crisp chicken filets baked to perfection. It’s not just healthy and delicious, it’s also fun to say!
|Serving size:||½ of chicken and vegetable mixture|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour|
Cutting board, baking sheet, measuring spoons, 2 medium bowls
3 cups cubed potatoes
1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips no thicker than 2 inches
3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs OR 3/4 cup breadcrumbs + 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, vegetables, and utensils.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
3. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
4. On the baking sheet, toss potatoes with the olive or vegetable oil, garlic powder, salt (if using) and pepper.
5. Spread potatoes out into a single layer and set aside.
6. Make a “breading station” for your chicken:
a. Crack the egg into a medium bowl and scramble it with a fork.
b. Place the breadcrumbs in another medium bowl next to the egg.
7. Dip the first piece of chicken into the egg, let the extra egg drip off, then press it into the breadcrumbs until you have a light, even coating. Be careful not to make the coating too thick or it won’t get crispy. Put the coated chicken on the baking sheet with the potatoes and repeat until all of the chicken has been coated. Wash your hands when you are done handling the egg.
8. Bake the chicken and potatoes for 30 minutes.
9. Remove baking sheet from the oven, flip the chicken strips over.
10. Place the green beans on top of the potatoes, mix together with tongs or serving spoons, and spread them out into a single layer.
11. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees and the potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Use frozen or canned green beans - need to test cooking times.
- Panko breadcrumbs will not work in this recipe only “Italian” style.