This dessert is a perfect balance of sweet apples and tart cranberries with a light crunch from the whole grain oatmeal.
|Temperature:||350 and 400 degrees|
|Serving size:||1/2 - 3/4 cup (depending on size of apples)|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||50-60 minutes|
Baking dish or pan, 8 x 8 inches
Measuring cups and spoons
Foil to cover pan in oven
Delicious with a glass of fat-free milk
Tasty with Greek yogurt
4 apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 14 ounce can, whole berry cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons soft margarine or butter, melted
1 cup oatmeal, uncooked
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and fruits.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash apples. Cut in quarters. Remove cores. Slice thinly, keeping peel on.
- In a bowl, combine the cranberry sauce and apples. Pour into an 8x8 inch pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Sauce should be bubbling and apples fork-tender.
- While apples are baking, combine melted margarine with oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon until well blended. Set aside.
- Remove apple mixture from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle oat topping over apple/cranberry mixture. Return to oven and continue baking for an additional 5-7 minutes or until oat mixture is golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Choose Granny Smith, Jonagold or Honey Crisp apples for best results.
- For more fruit flavor, add 1/4 cup dried cranberries, raisins or other dried fruit to the apple/cranberry mix.
- Try with other fruit in season: pears, peaches, apricots, or cherries.