This dessert is a perfect balance of sweet apples and tart cranberries with a light crunch from the whole grain oatmeal.
|Temperature:||350 and 400 degrees|
|Serving size:||1/2 - 3/4 cup (depending on size of apples)|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||50-60 minutes|
Baking dish or pan, 8 x 8 inches
Measuring cups and spoons
Foil to cover pan in oven
Top with a dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt.
Non-stick cooking spray
4 apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 14 ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons soft margarine or butter, melted
1 cup oatmeal, uncooked
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, fruits and top of cans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine the cranberry sauce and apples in a mixing bowl. Pour into the prepared 8x8 inch pan.
- Cover with foil and return to oven for 25-30 minutes. The sauce should be bubbling and apples fork tender.
- While apples are baking, combine melted margarine or butter with oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Remove apple mixture from oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle oat topping over apple/cranberry mixture. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Choose Granny Smith, Jonagold or Honey Crisp apples for best results.
- For more fruit flavor, add 1/4 cup dried cranberries, raisins or other dried fruit to the apple/cranberry mix.
- Try with other fruit in season: pears, peaches, apricots, or cherries.