BBQ Chicken Salad
Combine tender diced chicken chunks, black beans and veggies to make this fresh and hearty salad.
|Serving size:||2 cups|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
Whisk or fork
Tongs or fork to toss salad
With a side of fruit or whole grain tortilla chips.
1 pound cooked, cooled chicken
1/2 cup BBQ sauce optional
2 heads romaine lettuce
1 15 oz can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup thawed frozen corn
1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
- Dice chicken and add to a large bowl. Toss with BBQ sauce, if using.
- Chop lettuce into 1/2 inch pieces and add to bowl.
- Dice tomatoes into 1/4 inch chunks; pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and add to bowl. Add thawed frozen corn to bowl.
- Drain and rinse black beans, shake off excess moisture, and add to bowl.
- Toss salad and dressing together and top with shredded cheese.
- Use different greens (kale, chard, etc.) for a different flavor and texture.
- For a less expensive option, use a head of iceberg lettuce.
- Add peppers and onions to bring more color to your salad.
- Make your own salad dressing by combining 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, 2 tablespoons ranch dressing mix, and 1 tablespoon water