Orange Glazed Carrots
Sweet, juicy carrots are even better with a glaze of orange juice.
|Serving size:||3/4 cup|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
As a side to a complete meal or in a whole grain wrap with lean meats and a cup of fruit.
Recipe sourced from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
1 pound carrots, peeled
1 cup orange juice
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried basil
Pinch ground black pepper
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
- Fill a large pot half-full with water. Bring to a boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, rinse, peel, and slice carrots into 1/4 –inch slices.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat orange juice until liquid thickens and reduces by about 3/4. Watch carefully after it reduces by ½ so that it does not boil dry in the pan. Juice may take up to 20 minutes to reduce.
- Add carrots to boiling water. Cook until slightly soft but still a bit crunchy, about 7-10 minutes.
- In a colander, drain carrots. Rinse under cold water.
- In a medium bowl, add carrots, salt, basil, black pepper, and orange juice sauce. Toss until carrots are fully coated. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To save time, steam carrots in the microwave instead of cooking on the stove. Place carrots in a microwave-safe dish with ½ cup of water for 3-5 minutes.
- Try parsnips instead of carrots.
- Use other dried herbs like dill or parsley instead of basil, if you like.
- When oranges are in season or on sale, use fresh oranges instead of orange juice. Juice two oranges to get one cup of juice. Zest just one orange. Stir juice into skillet in step 3. Add zest at the end of cooking time.