Orange Glazed Carrots
Sweet, juicy carrots are even better with a glaze of orange juice.
|Serving size:||3/4 cup|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
As a side to a complete meal or in a whole grain wrap with lean meats and a cup of fruit.
Recipe sourced from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
1 pound carrots, sliced
1 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Pinch ground black pepper
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
- Fill a large pot half-full with water. Bring to a boil.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat orange juice until liquid thickens and reduces by about 3/4. Watch carefully after it reduces by 1/2 so that it does not boil dry in the pan. Juice may take up to 20 minutes to reduce.
- Add carrots to boiling water. Cook until slightly soft but still a bit crunchy, about 7-10 minutes.
- In a colander, drain carrots. Rinse under cold water.
- In a medium bowl, add carrots, salt, basil, black pepper, and orange juice sauce. Toss until carrots are fully coated. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To save time, steam carrots in the microwave instead of cooking on the stove. Place carrots in a microwave-safe dish with 1/2 cup of water for 3-5 minutes.