This Middle Eastern salad features creamy feta cheese, bright parsley, and bulgur wheat—a chewy, pasta-like grain.
|Serving size:||2/3 cup|
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
Recipe Sourced from Share our Strength’s Cooking Matters
5 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, rinsed and chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 large tomato, diced
1 small cucumber, sliced lengthwise, seeds removed and diced
1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped (optional)
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil OR vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper OR paprika (optional)
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, fruits, and vegetables.
- Combine lemon juice and hot water in a medium bowl. Add bulgur wheat. Cover and let rest until bulgur is soft and chewy, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer bulgur to a colander and drain excess liquid. Return bulgur to bowl.
- Add parsley, green onions, tomato, cucumber, oil, salt, black pepper, and cayenne or paprika (if using), to bowl. Mix well to combine.
- If using feta and mint leaves, add now. Mix gently before serving.
- On a time crunch? Cook your bulgur ahead of time, and have it ready to go to make this delicious salad in no time!
- Don’t have bulgur? Try this recipe with brown rice or quinoa for a delicious gluten-free option.