Beef and Bean Chili Verde
This recipe blends flavors and packs a nutritional punch as a source of iron, vitamin C, and fiber. Bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes bring color to the dish.
|Serving size:||1 – 1 1/2 cup|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||35 minutes|
Wooden mixing spoon
Measuring cups and spoons
10 ounces lean (85% or leaner) ground beef OR pork
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes with liquid
6 cloves garlic, minced OR 2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 3/4 cups salsa verde OR 1 16 ounce jar enchilada sauce
1 15 ounce can no salt added (pinto or kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can no salt added corn, rinsed and drained
2 cups spinach OR kale (optional)
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Cook meat in saucepan until brown. Drain fat.
- While meat is cooking, chop bell pepper and onion. If adding kale, tear or chop into bite size pieces.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin to saucepan. Cook about 15 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add bell pepper, onion and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir frequently.
- Stir in salsa. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add beans and corn. Add spinach or kale if using. Cook until heated through.
- Save money by shopping your pantry first! This recipe is good with fresh, frozen, and/or canned versions of veggies. Try using what you have on hand to change up the recipe.