Black Bean Brownies
Black beans replace the flour in these moist, deep chocolate brownies. These brownies are gluten-free and packed with protein.
|Serving size:||2, 2"x2" brownies|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||20-25 minutes|
|Total time:||35-40 minutes + cooling|
Mixing bowl, 2 quart
Potato masher or fork
Measuring cups and spoons
8x8 inch baking dish or pan
Toothpick to test
Have a glass of fat-free milk with a brownie for a healthy snack.
Recipe adapted from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
1 15 ounce can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup oil, vegetable or canola
3 large eggs
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (regular or imitation)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and top of cans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 inch pan or baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Use a potato masher or fork to completely break up the beans.
- Add the oil to the beans. Stir to mix completely to be sure that all beans are completely mashed.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add brown sugar and cocoa and mix well.
- Add vanilla extract, baking powder and salt.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips (optional).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into 16 pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee to the mix for a mocha flavor.
- Add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a flash of heat.