Cauliflower and Mozzarella Stuffed Shells
Need an easy way to get your family to eat more veggies? Sneak some cauliflower and spinach into jumbo pasta shells!
|Serving details:||(1 lb of Shell Pasta ~ 24 Shells)|
|Serving size:||6 stuffed shells (about 1/4 lb. of shell pasta)|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||40 minutes|
Large casserole dish or serving plate
Blender or food processor
Fork or whisk
Measuring cups and spoons
1 package large pasta shells (about 24 shells)
8 cups water, divided
1 large head cauliflower, chopped
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced OR 2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil OR vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 10 ounce frozen block of spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 24 ounce jar tomato sauce
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Fill a large pot with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to instructions on box of shells.
- Drain pasta and set aside in baking dish. Fill the same pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the chopped cauliflower in the boiling water and cook until the florets are soft (about 4 minutes). Drain cauliflower.
- Place the cooked cauliflower, 1/2 cup milk, garlic, and salt in a blender and blend on high until mixture is smooth.
- Set a saucepan on medium-low heat and heat the pasta sauce.
- In a separate pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add 1 cup of milk and cook the mixture until it bubbles and thickens. Add the cheese, cauliflower mixture, thawed spinach block. Mix well.
- Once the mixture is complete, remove from heat. Carefully stuff each shell with a spoon full of cauliflower mixture. Pour heated pasta sauce over stuffed shells and serve.
- If you are looking to increase the amount of fiber in your diet, try using large whole wheat pasta shells.