Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes
Dairy-Free | Desserts | Snacks | Vegetarian | WIC Friendly | Nut-Free
Top these chocolate-flavored delights with walnuts, fruit, or non-fat whipped topping for a dressed-up dessert.
40 minutesTotal Time
$0.63Cost per serving *
|Serving size:||1 cupcake|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes, cool time 5-10 minutes|
|Total time:||40 minutes|
Muffin tin or cupcake pan
Measuring cups and spoons
* Cost and availability of recipe ingredients may vary across different regions of Ohio. Cost per serving information should be used as a general guide when considering recipe cost.
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
1 15 1/4 ounce box chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup 100% apple juice
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and tops of cans.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray.
- Combine the pumpkin puree, cake mix, eggs, and apple juice in large mixing bowl.
- Mix batter well. Fill muffin tin or cupcake pan 2/3 full of batter with spoon. If using walnuts, sprinkle on top.
- Bake according to cupcake package directions--about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove from tin and serve.
- Top off your cupcake with non-fat whipped topping, and pair with a cup of fruit.
- Use 1/2 cup apple juice if your cake mix is smaller (such as 15-25 ounces).
- A 1/3 measuring cup works well to scoop batter into muffin tin.
- Store in airtight container or freeze in freezer bags within 4 days of baking.
What goes in Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes?
Nutritional Information(Per Serving)