Rice and Bean Salad
Rice, beans, and veggies brightened with a citrus dressing make a fun and flavorful salad.
|Serving size:||3/4 cup|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
Whisk or fork
Measuring cups and spoons
1 cup brown rice, cooked and cooled
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 medium carrots, grated
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups frozen corn OR 1 15 ounce can no salt added corn, drained and rinsed
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 15 ounce can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil OR vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Using a fork or whisk, mix together lime juice, oil, black pepper, and salt (if using), in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to the dressing and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving to let flavors blend.
- Add color and flavor with 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced).
- Use as a side dish, pita or tortilla filling, dip for tortilla chips, or filling for a lettuce wrap.
- Add 1 cup of cooked meat, chicken, or fish for added protein.