Rice and Bean Salad
Rice, beans, and veggies brightened with a citrus dressing make a fun and flavorful salad.
|Serving size:||3/4 cup|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
Whisk or fork
Serve with baked or grilled chicken breast or sautéed tofu and a glass of low-fat milk.
1 cup cooked, cooled brown rice
1 cup tomatoes, chopped (about 1 medium)
2 medium carrots, chopped or grated
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1 cup corn, frozen
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup oil, vegetable or canola
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
- Cut up the carrots, bell pepper, onion and tomato. Put the vegetables in large bowl.
- Add frozen corn, drained and rinsed black beans, and rice to the bowl.
- Using a fork or whisk, whisk together the lime juice, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over rice and veggie mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving to let flavors blend.
- Add color and flavor with 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced).
- This dish can keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Use as a side dish, pita or tortilla filling, dip for tortilla chips, or filling for a lettuce wrap.
- You can substitute one can of corn for frozen corn.
- Add 1 cup of cooked meat, chicken, or fish for added protein.