Whip up your own easy salsa to spice up the summer.
|Serving size:||3/4 - 1 cup|
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
Measuring cups and spoons
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 onion, diced
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeño pepper (optional)
4 cloves garlic, minced OR 4 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 cup fresh cilantro OR parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lemon OR lime juice
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- If using a jalapeño, put on disposable gloves and remove the pepper seeds. Dice small. If you don't have gloves, wash your hands with soap and water after handling the jalapeño.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving so flavors can blend.
- Try adding other in-season vegetables to this dish to compliment the tomato and onion, such as cucumber, yellow squash, green pepper, broccoli, or corn.
- For a sweeter version of this recipe, use fruit such as blueberries, oranges, apples, and peaches. Remove the garlic to compliment the less savory flavor.