Whip up your own easy salsa to spice up the summer.
|Serving size:||3/4 - 1 cup|
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
Medium mixing bowl
Serve with tortilla chips as a snack.
Serve as a side dish with a meal.
Serve as a dressing on salad greens.
1 medium zucchini
1 medium white onion
3 Roma tomatoes
1 jalapeño pepper (optional)
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, and utensils.
- Wash all vegetables and herbs under cool running water before cutting or eating.
- Dice zucchini, onion, and tomatoes into small pieces and put into medium bowl.
- Jalapeño can irritate the skin; an adult should remove the seeds and mince it. Wearing latex gloves can protect your skin. If you don’t use gloves, wash your hands with soap after handling the pepper.
- Mince the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Add the seeded, minced jalapeño to the bowl.
- Add cilantro, salt, and lime juice to the tomato mixture. Stir well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving so that flavors can blend.
• Serve with Sunny Baked Eggs and Vegetables (video recipe) or Braised Beans.
• Try other vegetables or fruit in season to the tomato and onion: cucumber, yellow squash, green pepper, broccoli, or corn. Try blueberries, oranges, apples or peaches.