Crockpot Shredded Pork
|Serving size:||1 cup|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||8 hours|
|Total time:||8 hours, 10 minutes|
4-7 pound pork roast, excess fat removed
1 head of garlic, separated, peeled, and minced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 large onions, sliced
2 large carrots, peeled, and cut into fourths
2 oranges, halved
1 lime, halved
2 apples (of any type), seeds removed, and cut into 8 pieces
1. Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, fruits, and vegetables.
2. Rinse pork roast and remove any excess fat.
3. In a small bowl, combine garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper. Rub mixture over entire roast.
4. Place half of the onion slices and all of the carrot pieces in the bottom of the crockpot.
5. Add roast to the crockpot. Wash hands with soap and water after handling the raw roast.
6. Top with remaining sliced onion.
7. Squeeze oranges and lime onto the pork. Leave orange and lime halves in the crockpot.
8. Cook on low for 7 hours and 40 minutes. Add sliced apples and continue cooking for an additional 20 minutes.
9. Remove the pork and once cool enough to handle, shred.
10. Serve with vegetables and apples from the crockpot.
To serve this meat as carnitas, reserve the liquid from the crockpot. Set the oven to a low broil and spread the shredded meat in a thin layer on a large foil covered baking sheet. Pour one cup of the reserved liquid over the meat and broil until the meat starts to get crispy.
Firmer apples will yield better results but if you only have baking apples you can put them in 10 minutes later.