Five-Minute Refried Beans
Dairy-Free | Gluten-Free | Kid Approved | Main Dishes | Quick & Easy | Side Dishes | Snacks | Low Sodium | No Added Sugars | High in Fiber | Vegan | Vegetarian | WIC Friendly | Egg-Free | Nut-Free
Layer ‘em in a dip. Spread ‘em on toast. Roll ‘em in a burrito. There are so many ways to enjoy these flavorful beans.
15 minutesTotal Time
$0.28Cost per serving *
|Serving size:||About 1/3 cup|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
Large spoon for mashing
Measuring cups and spoons
* Cost and availability of recipe ingredients may vary across different regions of Ohio. Cost per serving information should be used as a general guide when considering recipe cost.
1 15 ounce can no salt added beans (pinto, black, or other type)
1 tablespoon olive oil OR vegetable oil
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin OR 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and tops of cans.
- Drain beans and rinse to reduce juices.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft.
- Add beans and cumin or chili powder to frying pan. Using a potato masher or back of spoon, scrunch beans and cumin into onion mixture in frying pan.
- Drain beans. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Cook and stir bean mixture on medium heat until heated through; 3-5 minutes.
- Refried beans make a delicious spread to put onto toast for breakfast, or a quick snack!
- Refried beans can be served in a variety of ways: A thicker consistency like peanut butter, or a softer spread like hummus.
What goes in Five-Minute Refried Beans?
Nutritional Information(Per Serving)