French Toast Sticks with Berry Syrup
Rich in fiber, whole wheat bread and berries give this breakfast classic (and your morning!) a healthy boost.
|Serving size:||6 slices cut of French Toast, each ¼-inch stick serving|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
Shallow Bowl, Large Skillet, Large Pan with Lid, Measuring Cups and Spoons
Sharp Knife, Whisk or Fork, Spoon, Spatula
For the French Toast
6 slices whole wheat bread
4 whole eggs
1/3 cup non-fat milk
1 tablespoon 100% orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (regular or imitation)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup fruit for topping—fresh or frozen, thawed
For the Berry Syrup
2 cups berries—frozen and thawed, or fresh
1 tablespoon sugar free pancake syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and fresh fruit if using.
- At least one hour before cooking, if using frozen fruit, place frozen fruit in refrigerator 1 hour ahead of time to defrost. When finished defrosting, retain juice from defrosted berries. Do not drain.
- Cut each bread slice into four long strips length wise, for a total of 24 long sticks.
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk, orange juice, vanilla, and cinnamon together, using a fork or whisk.
- Carefully add the bread sticks to egg and milk mixture to soak—turn to coat all sides. Then, carefully remove egg-soaked bread pieces, gently shaking off extra liquid.
- Lightly spray a skillet with non-stick spray and heat over medium heat. Lay soaked bread pieces in a single layer on the skillet. Cook until brown, or for about 2 minutes. Flip sticks over with a spatula.
- Repeat step 6 until all French toast sticks have been cooked.
- While French toast sticks are cooking, place berries, syrup, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally until berries are mostly broken down, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover until ready to use.
- Serve berry syrup over French toast sticks. Place fresh fruit on top of French toast sticks.
Recipe adapted from California SNAP’s CalFresh
Try using your favorite fruit for topping, such as strawberries, blueberries, or bananas.
Use your favorite fruit, canned and in juice, for this recipe’s syrup. Try fruits like canned peaches, pears, or mandarins.