Harvest Mashed Potatoes
Think mashed potatoes can’t get any better? Add carrots for a boost of color, flavor, and nutrients.
|Temperature:||Medium heat, Medium-low heat|
|Serving size:||1 cup|
|Prep time:||35 minutes|
|Cook time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour 20 minutes|
Potato masher or fork
Measuring cups and spoons
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced OR 1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon butter
Salt to taste
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Combine potatoes and carrots in a large pot and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and reduce heat to simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Drain and keep 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Return the potatoes and carrots to the pot and mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Add vegetable broth and butter to the mashed potatoes and carrots and mix over medium-low heat, until combined evenly. Add in salt to taste.
- If necessary, add the reserved cooking liquid until the potatoes reach the desired thickness.