Give potatoes the night off and get the same creamy taste without all the carbs.
|Serving size:||3/4 cup|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes if boiling the cauliflower, 40 minutes if steaming|
|Total time:||30 minutes or 50 minutes, depending on whether you boil or steam the cauliflower|
Colander or strainer
Potato masher or fork
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets OR two 12 ounce bags frozen cauliflower
1 tablespoon oil, vegetable or olive
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Optional Toppings: chopped parsley or other favorite fresh herbs or a sprinkle of paprika
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
2. Fill a large pot half full with water and bring to a boil. Boil or steam cauliflower until fork tender.
a. If boiling: add fresh or frozen cauliflower directly to boiling water. Boiling fresh cauliflower will take about 13 minutes to become fork-tender. Follow directions on package if using frozen cauliflower.
b. If steaming: insert steamer tray into pot above the water line and add fresh or frozen cauliflower to the steamer tray. Steaming fresh cauliflower will take about 30 minutes to become fork-tender. Follow directions on package if using frozen cauliflower.
3. While cauliflower is cooking, heat oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add garlic and stir until softened, around 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
4. Drain cauliflower using a colander and let rest for several minutes, gently shaking off as much water as possible.
5. In a large bowl, add cauliflower, garlic, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher or fork until you reach the desired consistency. Sprinkle with optional toppings.
-Steaming fresh cauliflower will take longer but it prevents the cauliflower from absorbing too much liquid, which prevents the mashed cauliflower from becoming runny.
-Instead of mashing, you can combine cooked cauliflower, cooked garlic, and the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until the desired consistency is reached.