Pickled Beets and Eggs
There are few things more beautiful than the deep red hue of pickled beets and eggs!
|Serving size:||1 egg + 2-3 beet wedges|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes + 1 hour cooling time|
|Total time:||1 hour, 40 minutes|
Medium pot with lid
Large saucepan with lid
Large container with lid
6 large eggs
2 cups water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 large beets, peeled, and cut into wedges
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
2. First, hard boil the eggs: place eggs in a pot and cover with 1 inch of cold water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from heat, and set aside for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, cool eggs in ice water, and peel.
3. Combine water, vinegar, beet wedges and sugar in a large saucepan and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until beets can be easily pierced with a fork.
4. Cool the beet mixture completely, about 1 hour.
5. Pour the beets into a container with a lid and add the peeled eggs. Stir the eggs and beets in the liquid to completely coat.
6. Eggs and beets can remain in the refrigerator for up to one week.