Potato Skins with Buffalo Chicken
This recipe puts a healthy spin on classic potato skins with sweet potatoes, lean boneless, skinless chicken breasts and celery stalks for scooping.
|Serving size:||1 1/2 cups|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||55 minutes|
Skillet or pan with lid
Vegetable scrub brush
Microwave safe dish large enough to hold sweet potatoes
Measuring cups and spoons
Bowl to mix potato, chicken and hot pepper sauce
Baking sheet large enough to hold sweet potatoes
Add sliced apple and carrot sticks and a glass of fat-free milk.
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup water or enough to cover the chicken
4 medium sweet potatoes (about 6 ounces each)
1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 green onions, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 stalks celery, cut into 4 inch lengths
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Center oven rack. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chicken in skillet or pan with a lid. Add water. Cover with lid. Begin with high heat and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- While chicken is simmering wash and scrub sweet potatoes. Trim as needed. Cut a one inch deep slit in each to ensure potato cooks.
- Put potatoes in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high, uncovered, for about 5-8 minutes. Turn the potatoes and microwave for another 3-5 minutes. (Turn to be sure the potatoes cook through and through). Push a fork into each potato to test for doneness. The fork should come out easily. Set aside to cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, take chicken from pan. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred using two forks to pull the chicken apart (one fork in each hand).
- Slice each potato lengthwise. Scoop out the inside, leaving a 1/4 inch shell.
- Mash potato along with pepper sauce, sour cream and milk.
- Fold in blue cheese and shredded chicken.
- Spoon mixture into each potato skin, leaving a slight dent in the center to hold fresh toppings after baking.
- Put skins on a 9 x 13 inch baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes to brown the tops.
- Chop tomatoes and green onions. Cut celery into four inch sticks.
- Sprinkle tomatoes and green onions over each potato skin. Serve celery sticks on the side to scoop into the potatoes.
- Serve with apple slices and carrot sticks.
- Add more or less hot pepper sauce according to your own taste.
- Sweet potatoes are a good source of Vitamin A, fiber, Vitamin C and potassium.
- Sweet potatoes are from the Morning Glory family.
- The flesh of sweet potatoes can be white or shades of orange. The skins can range from pink to copper to dark purple.
- Some sweet potatoes are sweeter than others.