Savory Breakfast Grain Bowl
Start your day with something savory. This whole grain-packed bowl will keep you full all morning long.
|Serving size:||Entire recipe|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
Medium frying pan
Measuring cups and spoons
1/4 cup uncooked grain (grits, steel cut oats, quinoa, or barley)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
For Vegetable Topping:
1 tablespoon olive oil OR vegetable oil, divided
1/4 cup green onion, chopped (optional)
1 garlic clove, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 ounces mushrooms, halved
3 cups fresh spinach
1 large egg
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Cook the grain according to package directions. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- In a medium frying pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil and add green onion (if using) and cook until the green onions begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until browned, about 5 more minutes. Mix in the spinach and continue to cook until wilted, about 1 more minute. Spoon the vegetables over the cooked grain and set aside to keep warm.
- In the same frying pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the egg until the whites are set. Serve over the grain bowl.
- Starting your day with whole grains is a great way to keep you full all morning and help you power through your day!
- What’s your favorite way to cook an egg? Try this recipe with eggs cooked your favorite way. This recipe is also great with sliced hard-boiled eggs.
- Use vegetables you have on hand to try different flavors with this recipe.