Simple Carrot Cake
Perfectly spiced and sweet, this simple carrot cake comes together quickly and easily with pantry staples.
|Serving size:||1/12 of cake|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
9x13-inch baking pan
Spatula for stirring
Measuring cups and spoons
1 box spice cake mix
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
3 cups carrots, grated
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
4 tablespoons reduced fat cream cheese (optional)
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, and utensils.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 9x13-inch baking pan by spraying with non-stick spray.
- Stir together cake mix, eggs, applesauce, and oil in large bowl and mix thoroughly, scraping sides of bowl until no clumps of dry ingredients remain. Stir in carrots and walnuts (if using), until mixed throughout batter. Pour batter into baking pan.
- Bake for 23-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Shield top of cake with aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning if needed.
- Allow cake to fully cool within pan. Once cake has cooled, frost with cream cheese (if using).
- If you like your carrot cake with pineapple, try adding 1 can of drained pineapple tidbits.
- This recipe can also make cupcakes! Follow package instructions for cook time. Cupcakes are finished when toothpick when inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before removing.