Skillet Apple Chicken
Juicy apples and onions cook up alongside tender chicken breasts, leaving them moist and full of flavor.
|Serving size:||1/2 chicken breast|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||35 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
Large Frying Pan, Measuring Cups and Spoons
Whisk or Fork
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil, divided
2 chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon chopped, dried rosemary
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
1/2 small sweet onion, sliced
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, produce, and utensils.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil to frying pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until chicken is mostly done (some pink remains).
- Remove chicken from pan. Combine stock and mustard into a small bowl, stirring with a fork.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the frying pan. Reduce to medium heat. Arrange apples and onions in a thin layer in the pan. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, sage, and rosemary to apples and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to frying pan, placing on top of apples and onions. Pour stock mixture over chicken and apple. Spoon apples, onions, and stock mixture on top of chicken several times to keep moistened. Cook until chicken stock has reduced by half, about 7-8 minutes.
- If you don’t have any chicken stock in your pantry, try using 1/8 of a bouillon cube instead!