Skillet Apple Chicken
Dairy-Free | Gluten-Free | Main Dishes | Egg-Free | Nut-Free
Juicy apples and onions cook up alongside tender chicken breasts, leaving them moist and full of flavor.
45 minutesTotal Time
$1.25Cost per serving *
|Temperature:||Medium-high heat, Medium heat|
|Serving size:||1/2 chicken breast|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||35 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
Large frying pan
Whisk or fork
Measuring cups and spoons
* Cost and availability of recipe ingredients may vary across different regions of Ohio. Cost per serving information should be used as a general guide when considering recipe cost.
1 tablespoon olive oil OR vegetable oil, divided
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
1/2 small sweet onion, sliced
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to frying pan. Swirl pan to coat. Evenly sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken to pan and cook for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until chicken is mostly done. (Some pink will remain).
- Remove chicken from pan. Combine stock and mustard into a small bowl, stirring with a fork.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the frying pan. Reduce to medium heat. Arrange apples and onions in a thin layer in the pan. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, sage, and rosemary to apples and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to frying pan, placing on top of apples and onions. Pour stock mixture over chicken and apple. Spoon apples, onions, and stock mixture on top of chicken several times to keep moistened. Cook until chicken stock has reduced by half, about 7-8 minutes.
- If you don’t have any chicken stock in your pantry, try using 1/8 of a bouillon cube instead!
What goes in Skillet Apple Chicken?
Nutritional Information(Per Serving)