Sloppy Garden Joes
A sandwich that’s hearty and healthy? Count us in.
|Serving size:||1/2 bun and 3/4 cup sloppy joe mixture|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
Large frying pan
Spatula or mixing spoon
Measuring cups and spoons
1 tablespoon olive oil OR vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, finely shredded
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 pound lean (85% or leaner) ground beef
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce OR 1 cup jar tomato sauce
1 15 ounce can no salt added crushed tomatoes, drained
1 8 ounce can mushrooms, drained, rinsed, and patted dry OR 1 cup fresh mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 clove garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 whole wheat buns, split in half
Optional Toppings: sliced red onion, pickle slices, shredded carrots, chopped parsley or cilantro
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, tops of cans, and produce.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and green pepper. Sauté until produce begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- To same pan, add ground beef. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, break meat into small pieces. Cook meat with vegetables for an additional 5 minutes. Stir continuously until no pink remains and meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cover frying pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
- Serve open-faced on toasted or plain whole wheat buns. Add optional toppings if desired.