Sloppy Garden Joes
A sandwich that’s hearty and healthy? Count us in.
|Serving size:||1 half bun and ¾ cup sloppy joe mixture|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
Skillet/sauté pan with lid
Spatula or mixing spoon
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, finely shredded
1 green pepper, diced
1 pound lean (85%) ground beef
1 8 ounce can or jar tomato sauce
1 15 ounce can no salt added crushed tomatoes, drained
1 8 ounce can mushrooms, drained, rinsed, and patted dry OR 1 cup fresh mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
Optional Toppings: sliced red onion, pickle slices, shredded carrots, chopped parsley or cilantro
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, produce, and tops of cans.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and green pepper and sauté until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. To same pan, add ground beef; using a wooden spoon or spatula, break meat into small pieces. Cook meat with vegetables for an additional 5 minutes, stirring continuously, or until no pink remains in meat and it is cooked thoroughly.
4. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cover skillet and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
7. Serve open-faced on toasted or plain whole wheat buns. Add optional toppings if desired.