This fiber-filled, vitamin-packed “pasta” pairs perfectly with your favorite sauce.
|Temperature:||Oven - 400 degrees, Microwave - High|
|Serving size:||1 1/2 cups|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||1 hour|
|Total time:||1 hour and 10 minutes|
Large baking sheet
microwave safe plate
Small, sharp knife
Large, sharp knife
1 large spaghetti squash
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Pierce skin of spaghetti squash 10-12 times with a small, sharp knife.
4. Place squash on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for 6 minutes.
5. Remove spaghetti squash from microwave and carefully cut off very top and bottom of squash so that it can stand upright. Use caution: squash will be hot.
6. Stand squash upright on a stable surface and carefully slice through from top to bottom to divide it into two halves.
7. Use a spoon to scoop out seeds and discard. Place halves on large baking sheet, cut side up.
8. Drizzle halves of squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
9. Place squash cut side down on the baking sheet.
10. Bake 40-60 minutes or until squash is very tender when pierced with a fork.
11. Allow squash to cool for 5 minutes and then drag a fork down interior of the squash, separating the “spaghetti” strands. Using a large spoon scrape the squash strands in a bowl.
12. Toss squash strands with your favorite pasta sauce and serve.