Stir-Fried Chicken and Vegetables
This simple and tasty rice dish is an alternative to Chinese take-out.
|Serving size:||1 cup + 1 1/2 cups rice|
|Prep time:||10 minutes + time needed to cook rice|
|Cook time:||30-45 minutes|
|Total time:||40-55 minutes|
Small mixing bowl
Wok or large skillet
Whisk or fork
Spatula or wooden spoon
Serve in a bowl with a glass of water, fat-free milk, or unsweetened tea.
3 cups cooked brown rice OR 1 cup dry brown rice
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch (or 3 tablespoons flour)
1 1/2 tablespoons oil, vegetable or canola
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup white onion, chopped
3 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables (any mix of broccoli, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, green beans, baby corn)
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Reheat leftover cooked brown rice OR cook 1 cup brown rice according to package directions (about 40 minutes). Set aside and keep hot.
- While rice is reheating OR cooking: Add soy sauce, water, honey, and cornstarch to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium heat until oil is shimmering and flows smoothly like water.
- Add minced garlic and sauté about 1 minute or until golden.
- Add chicken to pan. Cook 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until cooked through. Push cooked chicken to the side of the pan to keep warm.
- Add onions to center of pan. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender and translucent. Mix onions with cooked chicken and push to the side of the pan.
- Add frozen vegetables and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. Cover and continue to cook until vegetables are tender and heated through, about 2-4 more minutes. Mix vegetables with onions and chicken and push to the side of the pan.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into center of the pan. Heat for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.
- Toss chicken and vegetable mixture with sauce and serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
- If using garlic powder in place of garlic cloves, stir directly into soy sauce mixture.
- Use an assortment of fresh vegetables in season in place of frozen.
- Spray measuring spoon with cooking spray prior to measuring honey for easier removal.
- Rice may be prepared a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for an even quicker weeknight meal.
- In a rush? Choose instant brown rice to cut down on cooking time.
- Add frozen, thawed edamame for an extra protein punch.