Stir-Fried Chicken and Vegetables
Dairy-Free | Main Dishes | High in Fiber | Egg-Free | Nut-Free
This simple and tasty rice dish is an alternative to Chinese take-out.
40-55 minutesTotal Time
$1.46Cost per serving *
|Serving size:||1 cup chicken, 1 cup vegetables, and 3/4 cup rice|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||30-45 minutes|
|Total time:||40-55 minutes|
Large frying pan or wok
Whisk or fork
Spatula or wooden spoon
Measuring cups and spoons
* Cost and availability of recipe ingredients may vary across different regions of Ohio. Cost per serving information should be used as a general guide when considering recipe cost.
3 cups brown rice, cooked
3 tablespoons lite soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon corn starch OR 3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil OR vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced OR 2 teaspoons garlic powder
16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
3 cups frozen stir-fry vegetable mix (such as broccoli, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, green beans, baby corn)
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Use a whisk or fork to mix together soy sauce, water, honey, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat oil over medium heat until oil is shimmering.
- Add minced garlic and sauté about 1 minute or until golden.
- Add chicken to pan. Cook 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until cooked through. Push cooked chicken to the side of the pan to keep warm.
- Add onions to center of pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly tender and clear. Mix onions with cooked chicken and push to the side of the pan.
- Add frozen vegetables and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. Cover and continue to cook until vegetables are tender and heated through, about 2-4 more minutes. Mix vegetables with onions and chicken and push to the side of the pan.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into center of the pan. Heat for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.
- Toss chicken and vegetable mixture with sauce and serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
- If using garlic powder in place of garlic cloves, stir directly into soy sauce mixture.
- Spray measuring spoon with cooking spray prior to measuring honey for easier removal.
- Add frozen, thawed edamame for an extra protein punch.
What goes in Stir-Fried Chicken and Vegetables?
Stir Fry Vegetables
Nutritional Information(Per Serving)