Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bars
Your kids will never know that these tasty treats are made with healthy sweet potatoes.
|Serving size:||1 bar|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
13” x 9” pan
Parchment paper or aluminum foil (optional)
Measuring cups and spoons
Sourced from University of Maryland Extension.
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, mashed and cooled (fabout 2 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup low-fat or non-fat plain yogurt
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups instant oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the 13” x 9” pan with non-stick cooking spray OR line the pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potato and sugar and stir until smooth.
4. Add applesauce, yogurt, and egg, mix thoroughly.
5. In a medium-size bowl, combine flours, oats, baking soda, and spices.
6. Add dry ingredients to sweet potato mixture and stir just enough to combine.
7. Add chocolate chips and stir to mix.
9. Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown.
11. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 1 hour. Cut into 18 bars.
If you don’t have whole wheat flour, you can use all-purpose flour.
You can line your 13 x 9 x 2 pan with parchment paper to easily remove the bars from the pan before slicing.
Cook sweet potatoes:
- Oven: Cut ¼” slit in the top of each potato and place in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake at 450 degrees for one hour
- Microwave: Pierce potatoes with a fork, wrap with a damp paper towel, place on a microwave-safe plate, microwave on high for 6 minutes
Make sure to let the sweet potatoes cool before using them in this recipe or they will melt the chocolate chips.