Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bars
Desserts | Kid Approved | Snacks | Low Sodium | Vegetarian | Nut-Free
Your kids will never know that these tasty treats are made with healthy sweet potatoes.
50 minutesTotal Time
$0.30Cost per serving *
|Serving size:||1 bar|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
9x13-inch baking dish
Measuring cups and spoons
* Cost and availability of recipe ingredients may vary across different regions of Ohio. Cost per serving information should be used as a general guide when considering recipe cost.
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, mashed and cooled (fabout 2 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes and sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Add applesauce, yogurt, and egg, mix thoroughly.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flours, oats, baking soda, and spices.
- Add dry ingredients to sweet potato mixture and stir just enough to combine.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to mix.
- Pour batter into baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 1 hour. Cut into 18 bars.
Cook sweet potatoes:
- Oven: Cut 1/4” slit in the top of each potato and place in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake at 450 degrees for one hour.
- Microwave: Pierce potatoes with a fork, wrap with a damp paper towel, place on a microwave-safe plate, microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Make sure to let the sweet potatoes cool before using them in this recipe or they will melt the chocolate chips.
What goes in Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bars?
Nutritional Information(Per Serving)