Chicken and Dumplings
Savory chicken and delicious dumplings in warm broth will become an instant family favorite.
|Serving size:||1 cup|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||35 minutes|
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 12 ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup biscuit mix OR 1 cup flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ¾ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup low-fat milk, plus 1-2 tablespoons milk as needed
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, produce, and tops of cans.
2. In a large pot, heat broth over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Add chicken, onion, carrots, celery and Italian seasoning.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 8-10 minutes, uncovered, or until chicken is no longer pink and reaches 165 degrees.
5. Add mixed frozen vegetables and simmer 1-2 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, combine biscuit mix (or flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) and milk. Mix well until a soft dough forms. If dough is too dry, add one tablespoon of milk at a time until it comes together.
7. Reduce heat under pot to low.
8. Form 1-inch dumplings with your fingers and drop them into the pot. Cook uncovered 8-10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
Adapted from the Oklahoma Nutrition Information and Education Project.