Transform leftover vegetables into a quick snack or main dish that the whole family will love. This veggie-filled spin on the Mexican classic makes the perfect game-day snack or easy weeknight meal.
|Serving size:||1 quesadilla|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
Measuring cups and spoons
Plate to hold vegetables
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
2 cups chopped vegetables (see tips for suggestions)
4 8” whole-wheat tortillas
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup salsa, for serving
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and vegetables.
- Add oil to skillet and heat over medium until the oil is shimmering.
- Add vegetables to pan and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To prepare quesadillas, place tortillas on a clean surface. Cover half of each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of cheese, 1/4 cup black beans and 1/4 of the cooked vegetables. Sprinkle with an additional 2 tablespoons of cheese. Fold the empty halves of the tortillas over the fillings to create a half-moon.
- Lightly coat the same pan with cooking spray. Place 2 quesadillas back to back in the center of the pan, with the folded sides touching. Cook on medium for 2-3 minutes, or until the bottoms of the tortillas begin to brown.
- Carefully flip each quesadilla. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bottom tortillas are browned.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to cook the remaining 2 quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into four triangles. Serve warm with salsa.
- Choose any vegetables that are in season or use whatever you have on hand. Need ideas? Try zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, onion, yellow squash, or spinach.
- Be sure to chop all vegetables the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Add some crunch with raw grated carrots or thinly sliced cabbage.
- Use leftover cooked vegetables for even quicker preparation.
- Add scrambled eggs to the filling for an easy grab-and-go breakfast.