Transform leftover vegetables into a quick snack or main dish that the whole family will love. This veggie-filled spin on the Mexican classic makes the perfect game-day snack or easy weeknight meal.
|Serving size:||1 quesadilla|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||15 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
Plate to hold vegetables
Measuring cups and spoons
2 teaspoons olive oil OR vegetable oil
2 cups vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, onion, yellow squash, spinach, etc.), chopped
4 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup no salt added canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup salsa OR 1/2 cup Celebrate Your Plate Summer Salsa, for serving
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Add oil to frying pan and heat over medium until the oil is lightly sizzling.
- Add vegetables to pan and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To prepare quesadillas, place tortillas on a clean surface. Cover half of each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of cheese, 1/4 cup black beans, and 1/4 of the cooked produce. Sprinkle with an additional 2 tablespoons of cheese. Fold the empty halves of the tortillas over the fillings to create a half-moon.
- Lightly coat the same pan with cooking spray. Place 2 quesadillas back to back in the center of the pan, with the folded sides touching. Cook on medium for 2-3 minutes, or until the bottoms of the tortillas begin to brown.
- Carefully flip each quesadilla. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bottom tortillas are browned.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to cook the remaining 2 quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into four triangles. Serve warm with salsa.
- Choose any vegetables that are in season or use whatever you have on hand. You can also use leftover cooked vegetables for even quicker preparation.
- Be sure to chop all vegetables the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Add scrambled eggs to the filling for an easy grab-and-go breakfast.