Apple Corn Chili
This quick and easy chili may be lower in fat and sodium than traditional chili, but it’s still packed full of flavor and comfort!
|Serving size:||1 cup|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||35 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
Stockpot (large deep pot)
Spatula or wooden spoon
Measuring cups and spoons
Potato masher or fork
Serve with cornbread and a side salad or steamed vegetables.
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 15 ounce can no salt added corn, drain liquid into small bowl or cup
2 red apples, chopped with skin on in 1/2 inch pieces
1 15 ounce can black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilies, drained
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, fruits and vegetables.
- In a stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat until oil shimmers.
- Add chicken, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove chicken to a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the stockpot. Sauté onions for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper, if using.
- Add corn. Cook until corn is golden brown.
- Add apples and cook until apples can easily be mashed with a fork, 10-15 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to create a coarse sauce from the onion, apple, and corn mixture. Add liquid from the corn to make a thick sauce.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock, stir to combine and increase heat to bring the pot to a simmer.
- Add black beans, chilies and chicken and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pair with cornbread for a full meal or with a side salad for an extra serving of veggies.
- Make this recipe vegetarian by using an additional can of beans in place of chicken and substitute water or vegetable stock in place of bouillon.