Egg and Veggie Breakfast Sammie
Start your day with the sandwich that has it all—fluffy eggs, savory veggies, creamy avocado, and melty cheese. Mmmm.
|Serving size:||1 Close-Faced Sandwich|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||8 minutes|
|Total time:||23 minutes|
Medium Bowl, Non-Stick Frying Pan and Lid, Measuring Cups and Spoons
Whisk or Fork, Spatula, Knife
1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh spinach, packed into measuring cup
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, chopped
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 whole wheat English muffin
1 slice low-fat cheese
1/4 avocado, sliced
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, produce, and utensils.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add oil to frying pan. Sauté spinach and red bell pepper for 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Remove vegetable mixture from heat, and place into medium bowl. Crack egg into bowl, and whisk together with spinach, red bell pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and scrape together to form the shape of a small circular patty. Cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes until egg mixture has set on the bottom.
- If you prefer a toasted muffin sandwich, place English muffin in toaster to heat. Use a spatula to flip the egg and cook for another 3 minutes, until cooked through.
- Place the egg patty on the English muffin and top with cheese and sliced avocado.
- Try using your leftover avocado in the CYP Avocado Chicken Salad
- To preserve the remaining avocado cover with a few drops of lime or lemon juice to prevent browning, and store in an airtight container for up to 48 hours.