Make eggplant a healthy substitute for snack chips. Slice thinly, bake and let cool for the maximum crunch factor.
|Serving size:||6-8 chips|
|Prep time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
Parchment paper or non-stick spray
Pastry brush (optional)
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 teaspoon seasoning blend (1 teaspoon Italian seasoning OR 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon paprika)
1. Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
4. Slice eggplant into very thin slices, about 1/8 of an inch, and place them in a single layer on the baking sheet. If all eggplant slices won't fit on one baking sheet, repeat baking process with remaining slices.
5. Using your finger or a pastry brush, apply a small amount of vegetable or olive oil to the top of each eggplant slice and sprinkle with seasoning blend.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until eggplant slices become crispy. Depending on how even your slices are, some will cook faster than others.
7. Remove eggplant slices from the cookie sheet once they start to brown. Continue baking remaining eggplant slices until they start to brown, checking the oven every 2-3 minutes to make sure they don’t burn.
8. For maximum crunchiness, let eggplant slices cool completely before eating.