Homemade Tomato Sauce
Enjoy this savory sauce with or without turkey or lean ground beef.
|Serving size:||1/2 cup|
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
Medium pot with lid
Serve over whole grain pasta and steamed veggies.
Recipe sourced from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
2 medium onions, diced
8 cloves garlic
2 medium carrots
2 tablespoons oil, vegetable or canola
2 teaspoons basil, dried
2 teaspoons oregano, dried
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
2 28 ounce no salt added can tomatoes, crushed
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and vegetables.
- Peel onion, garlic and carrot.
- Mince garlic cloves. Set aside in bowl, or at corner of cutting board.
- Shred carrots using grater. Set aside in bowl, or at corner of cutting board.
- In a medium size pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook until onion is soft and transparent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Set timer and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked ground turkey, or lean ground beef to make a meat sauce. Cook meat and drain fat, add to veggies, and proceed with recipe.
- Cool sauce and freeze for later use.
- Try adding 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar with the spices for a different flavor.