Homemade Tomato Sauce
Enjoy this savory sauce with or without turkey or lean ground beef.
|Serving size:||1/2 cup|
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
Medium pot with lid
Serve over whole grain pasta and steamed veggies.
Recipe sourced from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
2 onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, grated
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 28 ounce cans no salt added crushed tomatoes
- Before you begin wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, vegetables, and tops of cans.
- In a medium sized pot over medium heat add oil, onion, garlic, and carrots and cook until onions soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Increase heat and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pot, and allow sauce to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked ground turkey, or lean ground beef to make a meat sauce. Cook meat and drain fat, add to veggies, and proceed with recipe.
- Cool sauce and freeze for later use.
- Try adding 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar with the spices for a different flavor.