Homemade Tomato Sauce
Enjoy this savory sauce with or without turkey or lean ground beef.
|Serving size:||1/2 cup|
|Prep time:||30 minutes|
|Cook time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||50 minutes|
Medium pot with lid
Measuring cups and spoons
2 onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced OR 3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 medium carrots, grated
2 tablespoons olive oil OR vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning OR Celebrate Your Plate Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 28 ounce cans no salt added crushed tomatoes
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, tops of cans, and produce.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, add oil, onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook until onions soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover pot. Allow sauce to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked ground turkey, or lean ground beef to make a meat sauce. Cook meat and drain fat, add to veggies, and proceed with recipe.
- Cool sauce. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Try adding 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar with the spices for a different flavor.