Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Dairy-Free | Gluten-Free | Main Dishes | Quick & Easy | Soups | No Added Sugars | High in Fiber | Vegan | Vegetarian | WIC Friendly | Egg-Free | Nut-Free
Using great ingredients means you can keep things simple—start with veggies, add some spice, put it on rice.
15 minutesTotal Time
$0.67Cost per serving *
|Serving size:||1 cup sautéed okra and 1/2 cup rice|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
Large frying pan
Measuring cups and spoons
* Cost and availability of recipe ingredients may vary across different regions of Ohio. Cost per serving information should be used as a general guide when considering recipe cost.
2 teaspoons olive oil OR vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 16 ounce package frozen okra
1 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons Celebrate Your Plate Salt-Free All-Purpose Seasoning
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups brown rice, cooked
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, tops of cans, utensils, and produce.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add frozen okra, diced tomatoes, Salt-Free All-Purpose Seasoning, hot sauce, and black pepper to frying pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until okra is slightly tender, but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
- Serve 1 cup of sautéed okra over 1/2 cup of brown rice.
- To try a Somali-type flavor, try using 2 teaspoons ground cumin and 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed in place of 1 teaspoon hot sauce. You can also add 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish!
What goes in Stewed Okra and Tomatoes?
Canned Diced Tomatoes
Nutritional Information(Per Serving)