Street-Style Fish Tacos
Flaky white fish seasoned and topped with a cool, tangy slaw will take your taco night to the next level.
|Serving size:||2 tacos|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
Measuring Cups and Spoons, Medium Bowl, Measuring Spoons, Large Skillet
Recipe adapted from California SNAP’s CalFresh
1 pound tilapia or other white fish fillets (if using frozen fish, defrost according to package directions)
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 package low sodium taco seasoning or 2 tablespoons CYP Taco Seasoning blend
1 15 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes or one large tomato, diced
12 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
1 cup red cabbage, shredded and 1 cup green cabbage, shredded, or 2 cups bagged coleslaw mix
1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
Taco sauce (optional)
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, tops of cans, and produce, if needed.
- Remove fish from package. Pat with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and taco seasoning mix until well-blended. Add fish and stir gently to coat fish in mixture evenly. Pour into a large skillet.
- Cook evenly over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove from heat. Flake fish into small pieces with a fork.
- Fill tortillas with fish mixture. Drain canned tomatoes.
- Top with cabbage, tomatoes, sour cream, and taco sauce, if using. Serve with lime wedge, if desired.
Mix it up! To add more color to your tacos, try serving with fresh avocado, chopped onion, red pepper, shredded carrots, or cilantro! You can also add taco sauce and lime wedges to taste.
Use your preferred taco shell to customize the taco exactly to your tastes. Try a corn shell or a whole wheat tortilla.
Use your favorite white fish, such as tilapia, cod, or white bass!