Supreme Veggie Grilled Cheese
Ooey-gooey grilled cheese never gets old, especially when you add a healthy crunch of bell peppers and spinach.
|Serving size:||1 sandwich|
|Prep time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
Medium or Large Skillet, Measuring Cups and Spoons
Chef Knife, Butter Knife, Spatula
Recipe adapted from Iowa State University’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
1 medium pepper (red, yellow, or green), sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
4 slices whole wheat bread
1/4 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 slices low-fat cheddar cheese
1 cup spinach, rinsed
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- Lay out 4 slices of bread. Spread the outside of each slice of bread thinly with butter or margarine.
- Lightly sprinkle outside of bread with garlic powder on top of butter or margarine. These sides of the bread will be placed down to be grilled in the pan.
- Place a slice of cheese on bread side without garlic powder and butter or margarine. Add in layers of spinach leaves, peppers, and onions on two slices of bread. Add the second slice of cheese. Top with another piece of bread, keeping garlic powder and butter or margarine on the outside.
- Heat a skillet to medium-low. Lay sandwiches in skillet. Cover with a plate, lid, or aluminum foil.
- Heat sandwiches until cheese melts and bread is toasted, 2-3 minutes. Flip and toast other side until golden.
For a hearty breakfast sandwich, add an over-easy egg to your sandwich.
Don’t have sliced cheese? Shredded cheese can work as well! Use ¼ cup shredded cheese per slice.
Try using your favorite low-fat cheese for your sandwich, such as mozzarella.
Have extra tomatoes? Add a few slices to your sandwich!