Sweet Potato Taco Boats
One part potato. One part taco. 100% delicious.
|Temperature:||Medium on stovetop, High in microwave|
|Serving size:||1 potato and 1/2 cup taco meat or beans|
|Prep time:||5 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||15 minutes|
Microwave-safe dish large enough to hold sweet potatoes
Large frying pan
Spatula or mixing spoon
Measuring cups and spoons
4 small sweet potatoes
1/2 pound lean (85% or leaner) ground beef OR turkey
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning OR 2 tablespoons Celebrate Your Plate Taco Seasoning
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, tops of cans, utensils, and vegetables.
- Poke each sweet potato several time with a fork. Place potatoes in microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Turn sweet potatoes over half way through the cooking time.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook ground beef or turkey, carrots, and onion in a frying pan over medium heat until no pink remains in ground beef or turkey, about 6 minutes. Drain fat into a paper towel-lined bowl and throw away.
- Add frozen corn and taco seasoning. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Split tops of sweet potatoes lengthwise, as you would a baked potato. Fluff potatoes with a fork, top with the beef mixture, and top with cilantro (if using).
- Sweet potatoes can also be cooked in the oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
- You can substitute 1 can of beans for the 1/2 pound of ground beef or turkey.